Sunday, June 5, 2011

May 2011 Newsletter

Dear family and friends,

From Psalm 102

“But you, O Lord, are enthroned forever; you are remembered throughout all generations. You will arise and have pity on Zion; it is the time to favor her, the appointed time has come.”

The psalmist knows God is angry, yet he turns to Him in repentance and calls on the faithfulness of His grace. He knows God will have pity, and I need to know it also when I see the suffering here.

All around me are people living in small grass shelters covered with a tarp, cooking on small open fires and sleeping on mats or simple beds of wood and string. The rains (usually hard) are here now, and the people try to keep from getting soaked. Children with weak immune systems succumb to the relentless attacks of poor nutrition and terrible sanitation and hygiene – I see some of them wasting away and hear them coughing in the night. It’s often hard to know how to help when the need is so overwhelming. Poverty and fear of renewed war hang like a cloud, and yet they come, calling on God in repentance and faith. I am so limited in my ability to help them physically, and more than ever before, I find myself saying, “Lord, what do you want me to do?” But my comfort is that God has appointed a time of favor for His people and that He will arise and have pity on them…and He’s using me to do this.

Last weekend the northern forces over ran the town of Abyei (about 80 miles northeast of us) and is now occupying it in defiance of the Comprehensive Peace Agreement. It seems they intend to grab as much of the oil-producing land as possible before the south becomes independent on July 9. They are also blockading food and fuel at the border and supplies in the market are almost gone. The price of what is left has skyrocketed. The south is not responding with war but instead is appealing to the international community…for now.

So the perilous times continue, “But you, O Lord, are enthroned forever…he regards the prayer of the destitute and does not despise their prayer.”

In the midst of all this I’ve been able to continue my radio ministry work and discipleship Bible studies, but I’m also looking ahead to what God may have me do next. There is a great need for Christian education in our community, so Vince (our team leader) and I are discussing this and praying.

ANSWERS TO PRAYER:

1. No new trainee for the position of radio director, but a new young employee may grow into it as he matures, and this may be God’s provision.

2. God has protected our staff from family cultures that often create bondage (extremely high bride-price that resembles extortion).

3. We have not been introduced yet to the givers that are needed to establish financially a sustainable radio ministry here in southern Sudan…still looking. Will you help us look?

PRAYER REQUESTS:

1. That God would lead us to a sustainable financial plan.

2. That God would confirm my next work of establishing a Christian school.

3. That the Good Shepherd would protect and provide for His growing church as the land continues to teeter on the edge of war.

Soli graci,

Scott

1 comment:

Emily Pihl said...

Hi! Thank you for keeping us updated! My church is upholding all of you in prayer. I would love to hear more about your plans for a Christian school... if you're looking for an English/literacy teacher a couple years down the road, let me know, I would LOVE to be involved in that work!